Career Level Manager
Position: Project Engineer
Reporting to: Technical Director
Our client are one of the top 50 Managed Service Providers in Europe, delivering fully manged IT services to a range of UK and global clients 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.
They have a proven track record in delivering enterprise-grade support, security, and consulting solutions to mid-sized and growing businesses in the property, retail, financial services, and healthcare sectors.
In the past 5 years, they have enjoyed significant organic growth which has been further boosted through 3 acquisitions, the most recent of which has further increased our penetration into the financial services sector, and we plan to make further acquisitions this year.
Our Technical Project Engineer will be working within a dynamic Project Delivery team to ascertain the customer requirements, plan and scope the solution in line with delivering the customers expectations, while maintaining a focus on quality and profitability.
Whilst we standardise on a set number of solutions, the shear variety of our client based has meant we are effectively a vendor neutral organisation and as a result the successful candidates will experience working on a wide range of physical and virtual technologies and with a variety of cloud vendors. We encourage Project Engineers to bring new ideas forward on where we can improve our processes, implement automation or provide new solutions to meet the needs of our client base.
Ultimately this role will suit a person who enjoys being exposed to new technologies, wants to learn and understands how the technology solutions benefit the operations of our client’s business.
* Act as technical resource, in support of project installations which utilise a variety of technologies
* When directed, technically approve planned installations, upgrades and change requests. Ensure that appropriate technical implementation plans, test plans, and contingency plans are in place and ensure that existing systems are not compromised by any proposed changes.
* Ensure that acceptance testing and witness testing of new installations and changes to existing installations is carried out before handover to BAU for on-going management.
* Ensure that Project Managers and the business are regularly updated on project process.
* As requested, create design standards, equipment lists, standardised configurations, test plans etc for inclusion in proposals and incorporation into project plans.
* As directed, provide Technical pre-sales support to the sales team including the preparation of technical proposals and delivery of technical presentations to customers and potential customers.
* When requested, review and approve sales proposals from a technical perspective and ensure that any proposed technical solution is in line with the Company standards and that the solution proposed is appropriate, given financial constraints imposed and that managed technical risk maps are in place.
* Ensure that all software, hardware and communication systems recommended for inclusion in system designs are robust, value for money and all risks of failure together with the consequences of failure have been fully identified.
* Identify and propose new technologies to the Technical Director for consideration.
* Understand the road map of all products and solutions that the Company offer to the client base.
* Gain and maintain relevant supplier accreditations, as agreed with the Technical Director, to support this responsibility.
* Ensure that the Company’s Change Control process is adhered to.
* Ensure that all billable time is correctly logged in the ConnectWise system.
* As directed, perform audits of existing and potential client environments to ascertain suitable solutions to propose.
* Strong expertise and experience in Microsoft’s cloud offering; SharePoint Online, Office 365 and Azure with a proven track record in migrations;
* Virtualisation platforms – Strong understanding of and experience with VMware – VCP preferred;
* Full Microsoft stack knowledge, Server (Apply online only), Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, SQL, server migrations and upgrades;
* Strong understanding of networking, including fundamentals, routing, VPNs and experiencing migrating and installing networking hardware from various vendors;
* Strong experience and knowledge of various backup technologies, disaster recovery, bare metal recoveries etc;
* Strong understanding and experience of Exchange including initial configuration, DAG, migration, monitoring;
* Strong troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills.
* Knowledge of other non-Microsoft cloud platforms AWS, Google etc;
* Knowledge and experience of session based hosting / VDI – VMware, Citrix, Terminal services etc;
* Strong storage skills, Fibre channel, ISCSI, SAN and NAS;
* Experience of scripting via Powershell;
* Network certification including CCNA or Network +;
* SCCM knowledge;
* Good understanding of Linux