Career Level Manager
Senior Backend Engineer
£60,000 to £80,000 + equity
Based in Central London – Remote or hybrid working options for UK & EU based candidates
* Based in London? Must visit the London office once a week
* Based outside of London in the UK? Must visit the London office once a month
* Based outside of the UK but in Europe? Fully remote working
* Open to UK or EU based candidates with full eligibility to work. No sponsorship available.
Working life here includes: 33 days holidays. Meaningful equity. Last Friday of every month off for L&D. Regular socials. International travel with a diverse team twice a year to connect and have fun.
Client: With over 6 million users around the world, this app has proven to be a "gamechanger" as a Consumer Tech startup and a standout leader in their chosen space. Their popularity continues to grow given their media coverage and quirky marketing campaigns, so they are ready to add to their team of 75+ and take on another talented Senior Backend Engineer.
The Senior Backend Engineer Role: They build quickly and ship often. Their backend engineers build and support APIs that handle millions of requests a day. Speed and scale is everything when it comes to mobile app performance. You'll write code, design services, new APIs and improve the existing architecture to help them scale. You'll think through the moving pieces of their infrastructure and the complex interactions between them. With scope for AI, image recognition and Machine Learning all in the roadmap, there is plenty to get your teeth stuck into!
What You’ll Accomplish as a Senior Backend Engineer:
* Moving to scalable container-based infrastructure.
* Dealing with the realities of running a relational database at scale.
* Building highly secure infrastructure (we handle sensitive personal data)
* Collaborating on building APIs for our frontend and app team.
* Improving performance with investigative work.
* Troubleshooting problems across distributed systems.
* Building tools to manage a growing infrastructure.
* Deploying software to improve availability, scalability and efficiency.
* Understanding and automating away common problems.
* Investigating and fixing performance issues.
* Tackling challenging production issues as part of a supportive on-call team.
Skills/Experience required for the Senior Backend Engineer role:
* 3+ years tackling hard backend problems
* Proficient in PHP or Go
* Seasoned relational & document database knowledge
* Writes efficient MySQL/MariaDB queries & statements
* Experience with microservices and distributed systems
* Experience building RESTful APIs
* Enjoys writing and testing clean code
* Used to developing complex services from requirements to shipping
* Working knowledge of agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
* Understanding of SOLID principles and meticulous code quality
* Willing to learn new skills and really get stuck in
* Bags of common sense with the raw ability and energy to make things happen, a real entrepreneurial spirit
AWS infrastructure knowledge
HTML, CSS, JS experience
Image recognition expertise
Machine learning experience
Technology They Love: PHP, Go / Node, JS, Typescript / MySQL/MariaDB, Redis / Elasticsearch / AWS: EC2, ECS, ELB / Cloudwatch, Sentry, Stackify / Git, Asana
This is a genuine opportunity for a talented Senior Backend Engineer to associate their name to a game changing app. Appreciate autonomy? Do not fear challenges? Full of ideas? To apply please send your CV in the first instance